Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Gift

When I first got the bees I thought I would observe how they relate to the larger environmental issue of colony collapse syndrome: a worldwide phenomena of disappearing hives.  I knew it was related to the effects of pesticides, mono agriculture, climate changes and disease.  I knew bees were critical for the pollination of our food and generally indicative of the health of the planet.  What I wasn't prepared for was the profound effect studying the life in the hives would have on me.  Watching how they worked together, almost as a single mind, with such order and purpose, was mesmerizing and emotional for me.  Somehow, I felt they had the secret to how we all should live and relate to our surroundings.  This is why I named the piece nousbee. Any of you had a similar experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment